2/07/2005

Sunday night

Well, in my mind it's still Sunday night, even if the clock did just squeeze past midnight into Monday morning if you want to be all technical and stuff.

As my long-time readers know, I dislike Sundays. Sunday is always a day of battles between my slacker self, who wants to play and have a day off, and my whip-cracking puritanical self, who is appalled at how little I've accomplished over the weekend.

So here's how the balance sheet stands.

negatives:
  • I did not finish all the reading for my classes this week, as I had challenged myself to do. I have not even finished all the reading for Tuesday's classes. But there is still time left before I sleep. (and Monday, of course, but the whole idea was to leave Monday clear for other things)
  • I did not work on my article, not even 30 minutes.
  • My home office is still in a horrible state.
positives:
  • I finally spent some time with my now-healthy gf -- we saw three movies this weekend to make up for the past couple weeks of no-movies.
  • I talked on the phone to four long-distance friends, one of whom is dealing with a terrible family crisis. I was glad she felt she could call me. I'm glad I could help her, as much as anyone could under the circumstances.
  • I cleaned up the common areas of the house.
  • I started on the reading for my classes.
  • I cooked a big pot of spaghetti sauce which will cover us for a couple of days.
  • I did lots of laundry.
  • I did some household errands.
  • I reviewed a project for my gf which I'd been promising to help with.
  • I consulted with a colleague via phone about some initiatives in the department.
  • I did some planning for an upcoming project.
  • I read some things for fun.
  • I got some extra sleep.
So, in other words, I was a decent partner, a good friend, and a lousy scholar.

Although the positive list looks longer, I value some of its items a lot less than those that didn't get done.

Well, there's always Monday:
  • finish the reading for Tuesday's classes
  • WORK ON ARTICLE
  • pay bills and deal with financial crap
  • nurse my still-hurting ankle so I can get back to yoga on Tuesday.
I'd better get a jump on Monday now, before I sleep, I think...